Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's not like it's going to be everyday, but...

...I don't want to forget that I'm here. That's all. I think I have it looking the way I want it to look. So now, thoughts...

My students are all scrambled out. They have been scrambling since August to be ready for TAKS tests. They scrambled through the fall and winter. They scrambled right up to the Writing test back in March, and at that point, they were still fresh and ready. I worry about them now. Don't get me wrong. They'll do the job come the day. But they seem weary. Some are resorting to an apathy even greater than that displayed by most kids in the 7th grade. The apathy makes the fear, frustration, need, and - by definition - desire go away. So they act tough. They screw around. The get into trouble. Trouble is easier at this point. We have nothing but a briar patch with which to frighten them into the right thing, and they are tired now of hearing all of the right reasons to do the right thing.

I truly believe that this would not happen if we stopped teaching it all in terms of the test. They are ground to dust by that word. TAKS. It's going to be on TAKS. You'll need to know this for TAKS. You're going to fail TAKS. You won't pass TAKS unless you get this. Blah, blah, blah-biddy-freakin-blah. We steamroll them with their own fear until they are numb and apathy becomes no longer a choice but an instinct, a defense mechanism. When did we stop teaching the material and the skills and start teaching the test?

Every year I wonder from March to May whether this will be the year that my instincts let me down. It hasn't happened, yet (thank God, my desk is made of wood), but it could, I guess. You see, I don't preach the test. I try to show them how to write. I try to show them the difference between good writing and bad. I teach them to find what they already know instead of walking around like zombies claiming that they've never heard of a verb. I make them think, and once their brains are alive, it's easier to teach them. But even then, we don't "learn the test" until just right before we take it. This has always always always always worked.

Is my subject easier? Is it somehow easier to demonstrate a command of a language as twisted and bizarre as English is than it is to demonstrate logic? Maybe the bizarre nature of our mutt of a language is better suited to their zany adolescent mindsets than subjects that rely on reason and critical thought. Maybe English is just the one thing that most of them are surrounded with day in and day out, and so all I have to do is point out the difference between the right and the wrong. Maybe the fact that my test comes earlier in the year is an advantage and not a disadvantage. I get them when they're still fresh and learning. They don't get ground down to a pulp for another month or so.

I don't know. I just know that it's my job and everyone else's to make sure that they succeed regardless of where their own attitudes might be. Maybe I should whistle. Worked for those goofy dwarves. I'll try that.

3 comments:

  1. So true. All of it. Just today I stopped what I was doing and thought, "How did I get here?" When did I go from being excited about reading a thought-provoking Bradbury story with them or learning about ancient Egypt or having them beg for another cool Twilight Zone story to. . . TAKS practices? We were doing great until the dreaded one-month-until-TAKS date hit us at the end of March, and I effectively lost my mind.

    If we don't "practice", we won't be ready, so I head to Sam's every other day to spend a small fortune on prizes (bribes?) to entice them to do well on the practices and hope fervently that it will help them navigate successfully through the test.

    I kind of hate April. I really can't wait until TAKS prep is over and I can get back to students enjoying the fun of learning about cool stuff. To their credit, my students have been troopers about it all -- working hard on the practices, not giving me too much trouble, and listening to all of my tips and advice. But, yes, it's getting more difficult as the TAKS date looms ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I feel better about life. I thought it was just me.
    Tuesday, one of my honors students made a statement to me regarding the Science TAKS. She admitted she did not know if she would pass it. She said she had looked at the release test online and it was hard!

    (YES, I TOLD THEM WHERE THE RELEASE TESTS ARE, it is only fair to give them every bit of info I can to help them out!)

    I made the stupid mistake of asking 'Well, what about the Social Studies test?"
    The reply: 'I will pass that one, it is easy!"

    That did make me feel better,for a few moments, as she feels prepared for the test. Possibly justifying my mediocre existence and all the effort I put in to get her to this position...

    Or maybe I am deluding myself as she was probably this smart before she came to me... Oh, well... This is enough now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The truth of the matter is that TAKS does not make any of them a better student. TAKS (like TAAS before it) is a business that the legislature bought into because they have no clue what education is really like. They think a standardized test is the magic pill to make our students smarter and better ready for the work force. So they hire consultants, test makers, test scorers, program evaluators...ad nauseum...to conduct the be-all-end-all that is going to make Texas students catch up to the rest of the world. Yeah,right. Then they brow beat the school districts into compliance. The school districts then make the educators (you know, those folks who actually know something about education!) teach the test. What a mess! Seems like they would learn more if we could teach them the things they need to know and not what some moron has decided needs to be emphasized on a standardized test. But, hey, what do I know about teaching?

    ReplyDelete