Friday, October 19, 2012

I'm at a bit of a loss.

The students do poorly on a test. There are many possible reactions:

A.  Blame the test and test writer
B.  Blame yourself and beat yourself up
C.  Recognize that, due to the increased rigor of the state test and the standards behind it, the test was, much tougher than anything that the students have seen or prepared for in the past
D.  Realize that these results provide data that can now help drive the direction of your instruction, an opportunity to reteach material not mastered, and an opportunity to work through the how and why of mastering this sort of test using the test itself as a guide, worksheet, and model.
E. C & D
F. All of the above
G. None of the above

Okay, so that's a reasonably loaded question. The only distractor even up for discussion is "F" since some people will look for a scapegoat, flail themselves, and do their best with the kids, but obviously the correct answer is "E".  This is an opportunity. Why do I feel like so few people see this?

3 comments:

  1. hey Jeff, I know we are in the same district so you completely understand my situation. I'm on pins and needles this week, I feel like BISD is one step away from creating this app before I get my research project, I'll have to contact Kimber Knight because they now have this whole facebook, twitter pages! This new technology could ether help or hurt my project. Maybe I will blog about that this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you need to worry. If Dr. Knight and Mr. Reynolds beat you to the punch on this, it's only going to help test drive the entire thing for you. And what's more, if they do end up developing something first, and you told them what you're doing, they might even be interested in sharing data with you. As I get to know Dr. Chargois and Dr. Augustine a little bit more and more, I wonder if they wouldn't be interested in the results each of us gets from these researches.

      Besides if you build an app for your school, and they build an app for the district, they would be two totally different things. Your parents at Odom would love to be tuned in to Odom-specific news. It isn't like there's only room for one app on their phones. I think you need to blast off, full speed ahead.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice. Don't forget to upload your Action Research Plan Draft to your blog for week 3 assignments! I am curious to see your draft. Good Luck

      Delete